Austin Hines

no image
Name:Austin Hines
Address:East Boldon
Rank:2nd Lieutenant
Service Record:
StoryAustin a Law Student Before the war, Unmarried lived with his widowed mother Elizabeth Hines b1848, also umarried and at home were Francis b1876, Constance mary b1879, Oswald b1880, Charles William b1874 and Gerald b1889. Austin was in the Durham Light Infantry serving in the 10th Battalion when he died of his wounds on the 15th Dec 1915.

Lieutenant Austin Hines

Gallant Death in Action
Letters From Brother Officers
The following letters will be read with interest by many friends and acquaintances of the late Lieut. Austin Hines, the brother of Major Hines. Both these gallant officers of the Durham Light Infantry were killed in action at the same place at the front. Charles falling on his brotherís birthday, May 20th:-

December 16th.
Austin Hines and I were in the Artists' together and arranged to join the Durhamís together also. He died as the result of serious wounds received during a bad bombardment we suffered the day before yesterday. He was in charge of a platoon occupying the part of a trench adjoining mine. When I heard that he had been hit I went down to see him and found that although badly wounded he was still conscious. The stretcher-bearers had bound him up and had him on a stretcher, and after shaking his hand I despatched them off to the dressing station. It was quite hopeless to attempt to get out along the trench, so they took him right across the open and were able to get him safely to the dressing station. Their captain is trying to get them some official recognition of a very brave act. The open ground they took him across was being rained on with shells. Fortunately the German trench was occupied by Saxons, and the stretcher party was therefore not fired on. Shortly after leaving the trench where he was wounded he was seen by Rutland, who was in the support line, and he was then still conscious and able to talk to him. Everybody says how cool and clear-headed he was during what was a very trying time, and I myself know how brave he was under the pain of his wounds. I heard his company commander say this morning what a splendid officer he was making. It seems so hard that he should be cut off at the very commencement of his military career; for he told me several times that he intended to stay in the army if he got through. - Harold Daws, Second-Lieut. 10th Durham L.I. B.F.F France.

Bore Great Pain Bravely
December 21st
I was in charge of the defences of a village just behind the trenches. About five O'clock in the afternoon an artillery officer, a friend of mine, called on me in my dugout and acquainted me with the fact that one of our officers (Lieut. Austin Hines) was lying in his house and seemed very badly wounded. I went down to him immediately. He had been taken into this house on account of the shelling on the road. That he was being carried down the road at such an early hour indicated that his case was serious. My friend grasped the situation at once and phoned for a special ambulance to come to his place for Austin. This was at 6pm; the ambulances do not go within 1.5 miles of the firing line until 9.30pm While waiting for it I had a chat with Austin. He was in great pain but talked to me quite freely, although weakly. We gave him a drink of hot tea but he did not want to smoke. I saw Austinís case was serious, but I did not for a moment think he would die. A trench mortar shell exploded right at his feet and his legs were absolutely useless. Had he lived I understand his legs would have been amputated just below the thigh. The ambulance arrived at 6.30pm. We placed him in it carefully and well wrapped round with blankets. As the car drove off he shouted weakly to me "Good-bye, Rutland, and keep down." When next I heard of him he was reported dead. He was very brave, simply wonderful. Legs all shattered, a wound on the right arm and also under the chin, and he talked to me off and on for half an hour. No groaning, just a sigh or two and request now and then to readjust his pillow. I hope to visit his grave on the 23rd. Austin died bravely. Signed W. H. Rutland Second-Lieut, 10th D.L.I.

One who Knew No Fear
Dec 22nd
On the 14th, about 1.13pm, the Germans started bombarding our trenches with everything they had, and we had a pretty bad time. Tremendous shells were landing and exploding right in our trench. Austin Hines with his platoon held the part of the trench next to mine. At about 2pm I heard that he had been badly hit. I went down to see him and found him lying on a stretcher in the trench, having just been bound up by the stretcher bearers. He was still conscious but terribly white, and poor chap, had both legs practically blown off by a shell which had landed right in front of him. I spoke to him and shook hands. I asked him if he was suffering pain. He said "Yes, itís terrible." but he said it so that none could hear but me, and during all the time he was conscious made no complaint whatever. He was so plucky. All he asked for was to be taken out and away from it all. The shells were still falling very thickly all round, and owing to part of the trench having been blown in the only way to the dressing station was straight across the open. There were plenty of volunteers as there always are for a dangerous job, and he was taken out by a stretcher-bearer, his servant and two others. That was the last I saw of him. He was seen shortly after by another of our officers and was then still conscious and able to speak to him. He was subsequently taken to the hospital where he died. I mourn the loss of a friend and the battalion of an officer of whom they were justly proud, one who knew no fear, and whose qualities would have landed him at the very top of the tree had he been spared: - Harold Daws Second-Lieut 10th Durham L.I B.F.F France.

Died With A Smile
January 1st 1916
I am in command of the company Lieut. Austin Hines was in. He was only with me a week, but in that short time I was able to realise that I had got a good, cool and reliable officer. All through his short tour in the front line he gave me the impression that whatever happened in his part of the line I need have no fear or misgiving of the correct thing not being done. The men he was in charge of (the majority of them were wounded or killed with him) seemed to me to have put their complete confidence in him. This I consider the true test of an officers worth. I only regret I did not have the opportunity of knowing him better. He died the finest death a man can die, and he did it with a smile: - Signed H P Emley Captain, 10th Durham L.I. Flanders

Source: Sunderland Daily Echo
Date: Tuesday February 1st 1916

email :