|Name:||John George Potts|
|Address:||Claremont House, East Boldon|
|Story||Captain J. G. Potts was one of the best known men in Boldon, where he took an active interest in the welfare of the boys of West Boldon St Nicholas Homes for Waifs and Strays. He was honorary auditor of the institution, succeeding his father to that position many year ago. |
Captain Potts served with the late firm of Messrs Lindsay & Gracey, of Newcastle and afterwards with Messrs B. J. Sutherland & Co of Newcastle. He was one of their first ships masters.
He served throughout the late Warand went into retirement in 1931 after having spent more than 50 years at sea, during which period he had travleed around the world several times.
The Latter years of his life at sea were as master of the Peebles, a ship of more than 9,000 tons deadweight, owned by Messrs Sutherland & Co.
Captain Potts is survived by his widow, two sons Turnbull Potts and John George Potts and two daughters.
Source: Sunderland Echo and Shipping Gazette